Since 2014, Coalition on Right to Information, (CRTI) has been successfully conducting Annual RTI Champion Award to protect and promote citizens’ right to information held by public bodies. The award ceremony is executed every year on the International Right to Know Day i.e. September 28th. The International Right to know day is celebrated worldwide to raise awareness about people’s right to access government information while promoting freedom of information as essential to both democracy and good governance.
Every Year, RTI Champions Award is given in three different categories to acknowledge the efforts made by common people. A citizen, journalist and public information officer (government official) are awarded on their best use of following RTI laws:
- Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Right to Information Act 2013
- Punjab Transparency and Right to Information Act 2013
- Balochistan Freedom of Information Act 2005
- Sindh Transparency and Right to Information Act 2016
- Right of Access to Information Act 2017
Categories and Evaluation Criteria:
Annual RTI Champion Award will be given to a citizen under following evaluation criteria:
- Consistent filing of information requests to public bodies/government departments by using RTI law
- Persistent use RTI Laws to attain basic rights or for holding public bodies accountable—follows all procedures of complaint etc. under the RTI laws
- Public impact of disclosing information
Annual RTI Champion Award will be given to a Journalist under following evaluation criteria:
- Frequent use of RTI laws for investigative journalism, access to information being the focus of the story
- Is the subject of the story/report/publication of particular public importance
- Has the RTI laws been used for the unveiling or confirmation of any facts
- Professional quality
- Impact of the story/report/publication
Annual RTI Champion Award will be given to a Public Information Officer, (PIO) under following evaluation criteria:
- Handled RTI requests according to the procedure and time period mentioned in relevant law.
- Proper record keeping of each and every RTI request received.
- Ensure proactive disclosure of information within the department.
Please submit your nomination forms at email@example.com by September 10, 2019.